Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 14:39:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, Fergus Cameron <cameron@argus-systems.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: i dont unsterstand the disk label maker

On 16 Sep 2001, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> Someone wrote:
>
> > > there IBM partitions on your disk.
>
> Anyone know the history of IBM-PC hard disk partitions?   What this scheme
> developed by IBM for their BIOS or by M$ for their M$-M$DOS and IBM-PCDOS,
> or can we fairly call it a true conspiracy by both (to give people grief
> well into the 21st Century)?

Hi Gary,

Don't know if this totally satisfies your curiosity, but there's some
interesting reading here:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/5711/history.html
http://www.maxframe.com/HISZMSD.HTM
http://x86.ddj.com/articles/computalk/help.htm

I think it had a lot to do with how many instructions would fit. There's a
more technical article here:

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/partitions/partition_types-2.html

Dru