Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:51:13 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Pros and Cons of amd64 (versus i386).

On Apr 6, 2006, at 10:38 AM, Pete French wrote:

> I was thinking of moving this to amd64, but was kind of put off by
> results
> from a test system I setup using an Athlon 64 3700+ to talk to this
> machine. The opteron box is currently running 6.1-PRE/i386, and the
> 3700 is

Let me comment that my 64-bit commentary about I/O is based on
experience with Opterons, which have excellent I/O bandwidth.  The
Intel EM64T boxes do ok, too, but I have no experience with other 64-
bit CPUs.  The opterons are just a notch above anything else that
I've used.

That said, I run 64-bit FreeBSD on all servers capable of it, just to
have consistent system images (all my new boxes going forward are 64
bit, so I can eventually phase out the 32-bit system images).
Management of multiple systems changes the decision making process
sometimes...