Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 1996 18:11:34 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
Cc:        Henrik Johansson <f94jnh@student.udd.htu.se>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Easy editors

hmmm wrote:

> hint: mv /usr/bin/vi /usr/bin/vivi,
>       mv /bin/ed /bin/eded,
>       cp /usr/bin/ee /usr/bin/vi,
>       cp /usr/bin/ee /bin/ed.
>
> this will probably gag a guru, but i haven't found a need
> for that goofy stuff yet, i pray things stay that way!

Gag indeed!  Mucking with the /usr/bin distribution will really confuse
the next person who happens to use your machine!  Eyuck!

I think this is probably a little nice way to do it---and best of all,
it's on a per-user basis!

	alias vi ee
	alias ed ee
	setenv EDITOR /usr/bin/ee

If you're not a csh/compatible user, then

	vi () { ee $*; }
	ed () { ee $*; }
	EDITOR=/usr/bin/ee; export EDITOR

Next question: what the heck is ee?  I've used FreeBSD for what is
literally years now and never heard of it---yet there it is!  The Easy
Editor! :-)
When did this thing appear?

--
Sean Kelly