Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 22:29:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        PCAKen@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: failed installation problems...

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996 PCAKen@aol.com wrote:

> Hi there !
> I am in trouble, and in need of some technical help. I have just purchased a
> P-166 system with 32 megs RAM, 4 gig Seagate Barracuda Hard drive, an NEC 6X
> CD-ROM (:502) , an Adaptec 2940W controller card, Wang DAT backup
> tape,Warning : Message rejected by targer and a 3COM Etherlink III network
> card.

What?  Where did that Warning come from?  :)

> I partitioned the hard drive to use the full disk for FreeBSD, and then went
> on thru with the complete installation of the O/S. Everything looked good
> with the install, but when I re-booted the system, all I get is the "F?" .

Classic geometry problem.  Blow away the slice, put a small DOS slice on
the disk, and in install, delete that slice and proceed as before.

> I managed to make a boot floppy using another machine, and cam get the
> system to boot with that and it automatically goes back into the install
> mode. The trouble is, I can't get the system to recognize the CD-ROM.
> When the system boots, the script on the screen finds all of the
> hardware on the system, but I get the message "Warning : Message
> rejected by target: 0x1".  This message comes up after it tries to
> initialize the Wang DAT and the hard drive.

The DAT doesn't like to be probed.  :(  Hm, we'll have to investigate that
one later.    Does it come up with the mfr and model during that probe?
Can you post the output of the SCSI probe?

> The *REAL* trouble is that I can not access my CD-ROM. The CDROM is connected
> to the ADAPTEC 2940W controller card, and it's ID # is 6. When I am booting
> the system, After the CDROM comes up on the screen, I get a long delay, then
> I get the message:
>
> (ahcd0:6:0)
> cdrom can't get the size
> TFS is 1000KByte compiled in MFS
>
> And then the install screen appears. When I try to load the software from the
> CDROM while in the install mode, it tells me that there is no CDROM connected
> to the system.
> I have tried installing a minimal setup from floppies, but this always fails
> too...

You didn't put the CD in the drive before booting.  sysinstall is too
stupid at this point to know if you have a CD and are using it, so the CD
must be in the drive before the SCSI probe.