Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:39:41 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sony Z505HS, suspend, audio and other major problems

Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net> probably said:
> Very cool. Thanks Bill (and everyone else who replied), this patch works
> great! Sound is working well now on my Sony Vaio. :)

My Z505HS, a newer vaio, has the yamaha chipset which works fine
without this patch, _until_ I suspend the machine, when it stops
outputting anything, xmms can't play, /dev/audio produces nothing,
etc.

Looking at the docs for OSS this is a known problem for them and they
have a linux/apm workaround which stops and restarts the sound system,
something I can't seem to do with newpcm;
  http://www.4front-tech.com/readme/README.PCI-XG.html

  FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jul 27 2000 03:44:14
  Installed devices:
  pcm0: <Yamaha DS-1E (YMF744)> at memory 0xfedf8000 irq 9 (4p/2r
       channels duplex)

As well as audio failing over a suspend/resume, usb stops working.
When I plug in a device (like the USB floppy) I get;
  usb0: host system error
  usb0: host controller halted
  uhci_device_request: not done, ii=0xc0c5b9c0
  <multiple times>
  uhci_device_request: not done, ii=0xc0c5b9c0
  uhub0: device problem, disabling port 2

and before a suspend the usb floppy gives me odd warnings because the
slices are garbage;
  da0s1: slice starts beyond end of the disk: rejecting it
  da0s2: slice starts beyond end of the disk: rejecting it
  da0s3: slice starts beyond end of the disk: rejecting it
  da0s4: slice starts beyond end of the disk: rejecting it

If I do anything with the built in fxp interface (including compiling
it into the kernel) the machine hangs after a resume (OS hang, not
hardware). I can suspend/resume fine until I do 'ifconfig fxp0' as
root, which loads the fxp kernel module and then a resume will hang
the machine.

I forced a panic with a ddb kernel and got a crash dump supposedly
saved, but savecore tells me I have no crash dump. Feh. I'll try again
later.

I'm completely failing to get suspend to disk working on this machine
- can someone else with a Z505 and that working send me their fdisk
output, please ?

I've upgraded the bios to the 'windows 2000' required version from
sony. cvsuped last night.

Help ?

Ta,
Peter.