Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:57:51 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aviplay with 24-bit color depth?

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> PS:  Well, OK, we still need something to play Quicktime
> .mov files.  A shame that Apple invented yet another pro-
> prietary format.

Actually the .mov format is completely open an fully documented
IIRC.  The problem is the Sorenson codec everybody uses in them
these days.  Even lowly xanim will play pretty much any non-Sorenson
Quicktime you throw at it these days.

What I don't understand is why nobody has taken the windows
Quicktime player and write a wine wrapper around it for some
Linux player.  It worked for DivX, it seems like it should
work for Sorenson as well.

> Maybe Jordan can get us a .mov player for BSD ...?  Even
> a lousy Linux binary would be better than nothing.  :-)

Didn't someone ask him that in the Slashdot interview?  IIRC
Apple has some very good sounding reason for not releasing the
codec.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer