Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:32:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Roberts <root@ashland.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions Discussion List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FBSD:  Keeping dial-up connections alive

Greetings!

I haven't seen any dumb questions on here for a while, so I felt that it
was incumbent upon me to step forward and fill the void.  ;-)

What is the preferred method of keeping dial-up connections alive?  My
(school) provider kills connections that have been inactive for 8
(freaking) minutes ... i.e., I have to periodically reload long articles
on cnn.com or I'll lose my connection in the middle.  Instead of
reinventing the wheel, I thought I'd just see what everyone else who uses
dial-up PPP does.  2.2.1-R, BTW.  Got a favorite script or program?  Do
you just have it ping the host every n minutes?

Thanks!  =)

Jeff

   jroberts@ashland.edu  >>>>  Jeff Roberts  <<<<  strider@acm.org
     Public Key = http://www.ashland.edu/~jroberts/txt/pubkey.asc
  NOTE:  I only respond to messages (1) from known senders, (2) with
      my name in the SUBJECT line, or (3) very specific SUBJECTs.
  Messages with SUBJECTs like "Hi" or "Question" will get deleted with
          the spam.  Empty SUBJECT lines get ignored.  Peace.