Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2010 23:55:24 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22C=2E_Bergstr=F6m=22?= <cbergstrom@pathscale.com>
Cc:        App Deb <appdebgr@gmail.com>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-similar build-from-source Linux?

On 11/10/10 20:15, "C. Bergstr=F6m" wrote:
> O. Hartmann wrote:
>>
>>> The NVIDIA FreeBSD driver provides the cuda libraries for linux
>>> compatibilty.
>>>
>>> So 32-bit Linux Cuda applications should work on FreeBSD.
>>
>> There are some other, very serious questions. AMD calims that they
>> made the specs of their 3D chipset internals public.
> The docs had big missing chunks which I tried to get clarification on
> and got some help and then it just one day stopped

Well, speaking of those like me, following the official statements of=20
the PR units of HW venodrs like AMD and others, did not realize this. I=20
never read before about this sudden stop on any list. Yes, I realize=20
sometimes that things, even the great HW venodrs claim, are not that=20
what they claim to be when shdding light on this. But until this second=20
I believed AMD opened their specs  for the community. Well, maybe the=20
trigger of opening the specs where a result of AMDs desastrous downfall=20
after 2006, so today, after they got both feet on terra firma again,=20
they may decide acting different ...

>> There is OpenCL as an open standard
> Try to find the validation test suite.. ($$$)

Your point, I must confess.

>> , there is the CLANG/LLVM project even for FreeBSD
> Apple licenses it and doesn't publish all opencl work. (or I think may
> not even contribute to the opencl side at all anymore.. someone correct=
 me)

Isn't OpenCL maintained by the Khronos Group? Apple, for instance,=20
develop their own stuff on the basis of OpenCL and LLVM, but they do not =

publish back to the community, that's right. But this shouldn't be an=20
excuse for the lack of support.

>> to become the new standard compiler and, not at last, there is work
>> done on drivers for AMD graphics boards but there is no, not even
>> rudimentary, support for GPGPU. I preferr a clean open source
>> solution, but at the moment, it seems to be the best and easiest path
>> to switch to an operating system that is fully supported, even 64 bit.=

> Side question - Why care in the least bit about AMD? Their hw sucks and=

> their software is a joke.. (if you bought Evergreen I'm sorry..)

Well, look at my first statement. Until now I believe and believed AMD=20
offered more than others of their 3D specs to the open source community, =

to provide support to real open source GPU drivers. Obviously this isn't =

true anymore. But why hasn't this been made public? AMD earns a lot of=20
money even from those people like me which remain in the strong=20
believing that they made their contribution to the open source OS communi=
ty.
But at the moment, looking at my hardware running FreeBSD, I realize=20
that I have more and better running hardware based on nVidia and their=20
BLOB than hardware based on AMD. But this is individual.

> There's no such thing as a complete open source GPGPU solution as of
> today (to the best of my knowledge)

Well, not completely open source, but there is an nVidia CUDA solution=20
even for 64 Bit Linux and none for FreeBSD! And as far as I know, I can=20
use it for free - assuming I run a supported Linux.

> ./C

Oliver