Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 23:37:29 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, kellers@njit.edu
Subject:   Re: NFS/NIS... arg!

In the last episode (Jul 09), Tim Kellers said:
> Not "snappy" means palpably slow.  Imagine a shared dialup network
> connection with more than one machine attempting downloads.
>
> To be a bit more concrete, I can login via the CLI, but AI have to
> wait several seconds before my typed commands echo back on the
> originating workstation.  I think I've got some network gremlins to
> contend with but I appreciate any input you might have, and thanks
> for the reply.

So you're talking about latency typing characters at the shell prompt?
That doesn't make much sense at all, assuming you're on a local
console.  If you're telnetting into the server, it sounds like bad
packet loss.  Try tcpdumping the telnet port on both client and server
and see what both ends are doing.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com