Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:30:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      richard <richard@erinet.com>
To:        "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARE THEY ABLE TO CRACK UNIX PASSWORDS???

It wouldn't suprise me that password, 5693k, was cracked, or even guessed.
It is very weak.  A good example of a password is one that is not any kind
of proper name or any word that appears in the dictionary.  If you insist
on some kind of name then try unsusual capitalization and spaces in the
password.  Something like   blaH 34iT  .  How is the hacker getting in?
Through telnet?  If so disable all remote logins until you reasses the
security of you box and do damage control.  If the hacker knows a bit
about UNIX in general he/she could have placed a 'trojan horse' program on
your box.  A trojan horse is a program that acts like a program that it
replaced, such as the 'ls' program, but the hacker has added a feature
that will spawn a root shell.  That means he doesn't even have to know the
root password anymore.  Other on the list will have to give you advice on
how to check for suspicous proggies on your system doing things that they
shouldn't.  But the first thing to do is don't let the hacker back in.
Shut down any service that the hacker used.  System security is worth the
inconvenience of temporary loss of functionality until you can get your
unit in a state that the hacker wiil be less likely successful.  An
excellent book is 'Practical UNIX and Internet Security" by Oreily and
Assoc.  The book focuses on security concepts and is not system specific,
meaning it talks about most commons flavors of UNIX.

	- Richard.