Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 04:49:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      robert Backhaus <robbakfreebsd@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        "Scott R." <reverend@sfmidimafia.com>, freebsd-questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Simple Samba Question(?)

--- "Scott R." <reverend@sfmidimafia.com> wrote:
> [I am not currently subscribed to this mailing list, so please 'cc:'
> me
> in any replies.  Thank you.]
>
> I have a simple home network with one Windows XP machine and one
> FreeBSD
> 4.6.2-RELEASE machine.  I am trying to set up a Samba share on the
> FreeBSD machine that the WinXP box can read/write to.  I can get it
> read the share, but I cannot seem to write to it.  My config file is
> really simple:

Sounds like permissions to me. By default, samba accesses files as the
user nobody. Add
guest account = pcguest
to your smb.conf, create a lowly-priveledged pcguest user, and give him
rights/ownership of /u1

Alternitivly, set up encrypted passwords and remove guest ok from the
share definition, or turn off encrypted passwords in windows. It's
actually a toss-up over which system is less secure.