Date:      30 Dec 1999 00:55:14 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Before I return FreeBSD to the store...

"Kent Stewart" <kstewart@3-cities.com> writes:

> > What does the CD-ROM's jumper have to do with installing an OS? If
> it
> > worked with other OS's, then it should be deemed workable, and let
> the
> > jumper alone.
>
> It has a lot to do with it. Some drives aren't detected when they are
> the only device and jumpered as a slave on the secondary IDE channel.
> A couple don't want to be the master on the secondary IDE channel but
> work just fine as a slave behind the HD on the primary IDE channel. My
> Teac is the master on the secondary IDE channel. The slave on the
> secondary channel is a WD 3.1GB HD.
>
> I looked at all of the IDE CDROM's that I have and the have either 3
> or 5 jumper locations. The right three have text above them saying
> something like (cs or csel), (ma or master), and (sl or slave).

Of course, a CD-Rom must be configured in order to be useful. My point
was that if this CD-Rom worked with other OS's (as it follows from the
original message), then the jumper settings would have to be left
alone.
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who