Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:51:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Jonathan McKeown <jonathan+freebsd-questions@hst.org.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk from fixit CD: geom not found

> Boot install CD and choose Fixit

get live CD, it's better for this.

> fdisk -BI
> extract saved disklabel from tape and install with bsdlabel
> Initialise filesystems using stored output of dumpfs -m (from tape)
> Restore filesystems from tape

good you have such i plan. this is rare case today;)

> I'm tripping up on the first step, which although it appears to create the

you forgot to bsdlabel -B ad0a (or da0s1a whatever you have) after restore

> slice, throws a ``Geom not found'' message - which is potentially worrying to
> someone blindly following a recovery script.
no idea, i don't use slices (just disklabel)

maybe kernel module not loaded?

is slice actually created?

as far as i remember i've got this message with bsdlabel -B, but i ignored
it as everything worked fine.