Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2012 23:42:34 +0200
From:      Giovanni Trematerra <giovanni.trematerra@gmail.com>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>, alc@freebsd.org, Alexander Kabaev <kan@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Kernel shared variables

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:53:15PM +0200, Giovanni Trematerra wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'd like to discuss a way to provide a mechanism to share some read-only
>> data between kernel and user space programs avoiding syscall overhead,
>> implementing some them, such as gettimeofday(3) and time(3) as ordinary
>> user space routine.
>>
>> The patch at
>> http://www.trematerra.net/patches/ksvar_experimental.patch
>>

> I very much dislike what you described, it makes ABI maintanence
> a nightmare.

While I respect your decision to dislike my work, could you please give me
some concrete examples of ABI maintenance nightmare? I mean not based
on speculation.

> Below is some mail I wrote around Spring 2009, making some notes about
> desired proposal.

I wonder why your proposal isn't on the Ideas Page wiki.
By the way, is this proposal valid?
http://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#Avoiding_syscall_overhead_.28GSoC.29

> This is what called vdso in Linux land.

I know what vdso is in Linux land but while implementing vdso will give us some
additional features in any case it needs a mechanism like the one
I implemented (ksvar) to access kernel data while in user space and I think my
implementation isn't too much different from what is called VVAR in
linux parlance.
Please take a look at
http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/arch/x86/include/asm/vvar.h?v=linux-2.6
http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/arch/x86/vdso/vclock_gettime.c?v=linux-2.6;im=10

Could you please review the kernel part of the patch?

--
Gianni