Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 08:45:54 -0400
From:      Matthew Smith <matt@forsetti.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yahoo!!!

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>On 2003-05-14 20:25, RexFelis <catlord17@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>

>>>Good, good.  This is great news!
>>>We have another FreeBSD'er :-)
>>>

>>Indeed you do.  Now I find myself having to bite my tongue when I surf
>>my old Linux-centric haunts and I see someone describe a frustration I
>>find easily solved with FreeBSD... heheh
>>
>>I'm not against Linux, of course, but it just seems less than ideal
>>now.  And of course now I have to resist the urge to switch my mom and
>>girlfriend over from their long-stable Mandrake boxes.  :)
>>

>Nah.  If it works, don't break it.
>
>I'm slowly passing hints and small tips to my mother about OpenOffice
>and gnome too.  She's happy and works fine with her Windows desktop so
>far, so pushing things isn't good.  But localised versions of a few
>programs is all she needs:
>
>	- A word processor.
>	- An email reader.
>	- A web browser.
>	- A spell checker.
>
>That's more or less all that most users need from a workstation
>these days.  (Well, these and a player for multimedia files).
>

>>Tinkering always causes me trouble, but I'm kind of addicted.  lol
>>

>:)

As I build my li'l brother a new box for school, I would love to put
FreeBSD, (or even Linux if I had to) on it, especially when faced with
$$$ for WinXP.  Unfortunately, for him to get support at school (small
music school, too far away for me to support him), it's got to be either
Windows or Mac.  I'm considering talking him into a Mac/OSX, but I can
build him something MUCH cheaper, even if it does get WinXP.  Too bad I
can't build him a Mac!