Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 01:35:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu (Garance A Drosihn)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, scheper@beast.toad.net, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP + XDM = keyboard lockup

> At 11:25 AM -0600 7/22/99, Nate Williams wrote:
> >> Also, I don't understand why initializing xdm in /etc/ttys
> >> doesn't work since by then init should have executed getty
> >> on the appropriate ttvs.
> >
> > It *should* work.  I'm not sure why it's not working, unless
> > there are no free ttys for it to work on.
>
> This probably doesn't help much, but I'm running xdm on my
> SMP system without any apparent trouble.  I just turned the
> entry for XDM in '/etc/ttys' from off to on.  Dual-PPro
> system, running 3.stable as of a little earlier this week.
> I built it JUST before the new XFree86 was released, so I
> don't have the latest XFree.

Me too.

I really, really think this is a hardware specific problem,
at the I/O bus contention level.

> I've run freebsd quite awhile without installing X.  When
> I first installed and configured it, I tried to start it
> up by typing "X" instead of xdm.  *That* locked up my
> system in a way that sounds somewhat like what is being
> suggested here.  Typing at the keyboard did not do anything.
> I had to slogin from another machine, kill that X process,
> and then put my brain in gear to remember how I was SUPPOSED
> to startup X...

I never get lockups, but I am running an old Neptune-based
dual P90 (it was quite something at the time I bought it to
do FreeBSD SMP hacking using Jack Vogel's original SMP work
from October of 1995).

> I haven't done a lot with X on this system, but everything
> I've done has worked fine.  I've rebooted it a few dozen
> times without it ever locking up.

As an experiment, really, really I/O load your system (I
think that serial I/O might be the modet I/O bus intensive),
and then bounce back and forth between the console in X and
a text console, and see if things lock up.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.