Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2017 11:38:07 +0100
From:      Michal Meloun <melounmichal@gmail.com>
To:        Ralf Wenk <iz-rpi03@hs-karlsruhe.de>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting an old kernel on RPI2

On 06.03.2017 10:23, Ralf Wenk wrote:
> At Sat, 4 Mar 2017 08:57:40 -0800, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>> A recent world/kernel build went badly wrong, resulting in an
>> "out of memory" report on the console and no further progress.
>>
>> There are two spare kernels on the system, kernel.old and kernel.spare,
>> but even kernel.spare, which I know worked, still produces the same
>> "out of memory" prompt on the console.
>> [...]
>
> I am having the same problem here.
> It happened during make installworld of r314701. I run make installworld
> while the former kernel r313407  was still active.
> Now both kernels will boot up, but produce the same "out of memory"
> message while going to single- or multi-user.
> So it is not even possible to get a working shell in single-user mode.
> As it first happens during make installworld while still running the
> "old" r313407 kernel I think the cause is not the kernel itself.
>
> Ralf

Hi,
I'm afraid that clang 4.0.0 miscompile jemalloc for armv6 architecture.

As workaround please use r314564 for buildworld, identification of the
problem takes some time.
As alternative, you can put CPUTYPE=cortex-a[7][8][9][15] to make.conf.
This works for me (with cortex-a15) with actual head.

Michal