Date:      Sun, 6 Sep 1998 18:03:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        jonny@jonny.eng.br, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern subr_bus.c uipc_socket2.c

John Polstra writes:
> > BTW: How far are we from using -Wall -Werror for the whole source
> > tree, including kernel ?
>
> We should never add -Werror to the standard flags.  If somebody
> compiles without "-O", the compiler generates spurious warnings.
> These kill the build if -Werror is present.

That's arguable. Anyone who's capable of removing the -O from some
included makefile is capable of removing -Werror from some included
makefile.

In practice, however, -Werror may not be workable... it would be an
interesting experiment anyway.

> Of course, we should still strive for the goal of "-O -Wall -Werror"
> working.

Not to mention -Wstrict-prototypes, -Wmissing-prototypes,
-Wmissing-declarations, -Wnested-externs, ... what else??

-Archie