Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2001 20:37:33 -0500
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Did ipfw fwd just break?

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

For a long time I've been running a transparent SMTP proxy on my firewall,
using this rule:

ipfw fwd 127.0.0.1 tcp from any to any 25 in recv fxp0

It's always worked just as I expected.

I updated my system today (the previous update was on February 12), and now,
even though "ipfw show" indicates that the above rule is matching, the
connection goes right through to its original destination (i.e. it's not
forwarded to 127.0.0.1) just as if the rule weren't there. Just prior to
rebooting the newly updated system, the SMTP connections were forwarded to
127.0.0.1, exactly according to plan.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD norton.palomine.net 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Sat Mar  3 17:05:39 EST 2001     cjohnson@norton.palomine.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NORTON  i386

I'm using natd to connect my private network to the Internet. I haven't made
any changes to my firewall rules, and the only kernel configuration option I
made was to add the PPS_SYNC option, which I don't see breaking any ipfw stuff.

Chris Johnson

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU--