Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 16:38:30 -0500
From:      Alan Clegg <alan@clegg.com>
To:        Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RTP vs. HTTP as streaming protocol, SMIL

Unless the network is lying to me again, Tim Pozar said:

> As for the amount of time it takes to learn and maintain an
> MCAST/MBONE link... I have been connected since '96 and it is pretty
> easy to set up (mrouted or other methods) and maintain.  Admititly
> there is a reliability problem as the MBONE is a bit lossy and it
> does go up and down.  Players like Realplayer can be set up to try
> multicast and then fall back to unicast so outages are less of a
> problem.

I've been trying to find a service provider in my area (Silicon Valley
of the South) that understands and can provide Multicast.  There are none
that are affordable.  To get multicast, you have to go to Alternet or
Sprint, and both of them are *WAY* expensive.

Even the national DSL providers go "uh, what's multicast" when you ask.
Then, when you do get past the sales droids, the technical people go
"uh, that stuff is really complicated and we don't do it."

Anybody interested in starting a new provider that actually has clue?

AlanC