Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 00:29:08 +0200
From:      "Boyan Nedkov" <bnedkov@zonnet.nl>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: onboard RAID controller (Asus A7V333)

Hoy Jud,

Thanks for you answer, I continue trying to get my system working, but
without any success jet.

First my details:
- A7V333 & 2 HDD Maxtor 60GB (Promise IDE1/IDE2, master/master)
- mainboard/junper RAID_EN -> [1-2] Enabled
- BIOS/Advanced/PCI_Configuration/On_board_ATA_device_First -> [YES]
- BIOS/Boot/4_Other_boot_Device -> [SCSI/On board ATA boot..]
- IDE1 primary/master -> cd-dvdrom
- IDE2 primary/master -> HDD 250MB (no OS installed, just for testing
purpose]
- boot order: [floppy]/IDE HDD -> [disabled] /[cd-dvdrom]/[SCSI/On board
ATA boot..]
- RAID-0 set up by Promise BIOS, 'RAID-0 functional' displayed after
rebooting
- Promise driver: MBFastTrack133 Lite BIOS ver 2.00.1.23
- after rebooting the driver above reports: 2+0 Stripe 120080M ...
Functional

I've downloaded (ftp) and burned on cd the FBSD 4.5 Release and trying
to install it from bootable cd taking the option "Standard installation"

Case 1: RAID-0 & CD-DVD only
After first few screens following message is displayed: "No disk found.
Verify that your controller is being properly brobed at boot time ...".
During the booting procedure a lot of stuff is displayed on the screen,
but it's quite difficult to get something because it's really fast going
(is there any way to save that to a log file booting from cd???)

Case 2: RAID-0 & CD-DVD & additional HDD as secondary master
The additional HDD is found as ad2 and I can play with it as a single
disk - the RAID-0 disk is not found, and I'm wondering why then the disk
found is named ad2; it seams the RAID is also found (perhaps as ad0
or/and ad1) but not displayed ???

Case 3: RAID-0 & CD-DVD & HDD (same like case 2), but booting from Win98
start floppy and checking what's going on with FDISK. As result both
disks (HDD & RAID-0) are found, HDD as disk 1, RAID-0 as disk 2.
Creating partition on RAID-0 is ok, but when I try to make it active I
just get message that only disk 1 (HDD) can have active partitions.

That's it. Any more ideas ??? Would be appreciated :-)

Boyan