Date:      Fri, 9 May 2008 20:15:08 -0700
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@freebsd.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, Ade Lovett <ade@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USE_BDB=41 and evolution / evolution-exchange

On May 9, 2008, at 12:46 , Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> There is an issue about compatibility.  That is, if one starts using
> 4.1, then moves to 4.4, the underlying database may not work
> properly as
> no conversion steps are taken.  Historically, e-d-s always used 3.x
> (and
> internal copy).  But we found we could move to 4.1, and link
> dynamically.  If we were to relax the DB dependency, we would need
> confirmation that we can move from 4.1 to 4.4 safely.

How about a compromise?

Change it to USE_BDB?=41+ and have a pre-everything target that looks
at the computed BDB_VER, and pops up a "you might hose yourself"
message if it's something other than 41?

I understand the backwards-compat issues, but it seems a little odd to
have a specific BDB dependency for this when most other BDB-using
ports can at least have the option to try alternatives.

-aDe