Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 14:55:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        dgy@rtd.com (Don Yuniskis)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No Thumbs??? (lack of concensus)

> > >    Are these things comfortable in an external enclosure (e.g., two
> > > drives in a dual drive enclosure with a single fan)?  Just how "hot"
> > > is "hot"?
> >
> > Hotter than that! :-) I wouldn't recommend it.  One drive in a box
> > maybe.  Two, well, maybe you could put a hot plate on top and cook
> > your breakfast in the morning.. :-)

he's not kidding..
I have a 3GB Hitachio drive here that's cooked itself
because it was put in a normal PC cabinet..
when it failed, I openned the cabinet  and touched the drive
to see if it was mounted solidly.. Literally I burned myself
It didn't QUITE blister, but I had a red mark on my finger for four days..

since then I've started looking at this, and found several instances where
the drive was too hot to touch..

remember it's not the wattage, it's how fst you can DISIPATE that wattage.
a soldering Iron is often only 15 Watts, but it gets to, what, 300+ degrees F?

|   __--_|\  Julian Elischer       |       \     U \/ / On assignment
|  /       \ julian@ref.tfs.com    +------>x   USA    \ in a very strange
| (   OZ    ) 300 lakeside Dr. oakland CA. \___   ___ | country !
+- X_.---._/  USA+(510) 645-3137(wk)           \_/   \\