Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 08:14:02 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        me@corecom.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re:

At 11:19 AM 3/29/97, Michael A. Endsley wrote:
>>> I have a dos partion set aside for FreeBSD which is my "E" drive. FreeBSD
>>> shows me 3 slices:
>>> Primary (dos)
>>> extended (dos)
>>> OS2
>>>
>>> Also, 2 "slices" that show none. I assume the first small area is MBR
>>> FreeBSD wants me to use the bottom item on the list of slices but the
>>> numbers don't corresond to what I have set aside (E-drive)
>>> When my HD is probed at the beginning, it shows the correct numbers for my
>>> WD 1.6G drive. Can anybody help me or do you need more info?

I've never done this and see multi-booting as a PITA, but then I can afford
to throw a system together.

Something is not right.  Hard drives can have 4 primary partitions and the
DOS extended is considered a primary partition, which can have any number
of logical drives.

A copy of what FBSD shows would be helpful.

>>I'll guess that your E: drive is not the only drive on your extended
>>partition. FreeBSD won't use space in your extended partition, so you
>>have to install over the entire extended partition, or use fdisk to
>>resize your extended partition, or use another program to reduced the
>>size of the extended partition to make room for FreeBSD.
>
>>FreeBSD won't install to a logical drive within a partition.

>Thanks for this info!
>Please understand, I have read everything I could till I am about totally
>confused ;) If I delete logical partition E, then OS/2 (logical drive F)
>will then assume the letter E, then won't run obviously.

Logical?  Logical drives are used in the DOS-extended partition and I can't
recall hearing to them referred as that anywhere else.

Are you using the DOS extended partition?

>I also read (and hope I understood it correctly) that FBSD will try to
>take the first area on my HD. Would that then move Dos/Windoze? What I am

The MBR?  No nothing will move, but the boot loader (I assume you use the
OS2 one) would be wiped if you didn't check "none" for boot manager on the
FBSD install.  Never did OS2.

>trying to do is put FBSD in the same area that the E partition was so that
>OS/2 will still boot.  Apparently this can't be done?? Maybe I read so
>much I got totally confused.  If so, my apologies to all for this posting.

What seems to be confusing here is your reference to drives.  Are there
indeed, 3 physical drives ie C: D: E: or are you refering to
partitions/slices.

Terminology can be a bitch at times.  8-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990