Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 97 13:27:05 CST
From:      eck@sc10.dseg.ti.com (Terry Eck)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD

This is my first post to this list. I'm interested in installing FreeBSD.
I currently run Linux and OS/2. I've got 2 IDE drives and one scsi.
I have 500meg free as a second partiton on the scsi drive. I could recover
about 50meg on the first IDE drive in the form of a primary partition.
Can I split the filesystem over two drives. I know I need to have the
kernel on the IDE drives (assuming the same requirements as linux). I'd
like to put the root partiton / on the 50meg ide partition and the remainder
of the filesystem on the scsi. I made a trial install using the boot disk
for 2.0.7-RELEASE. When the install get to the point of assigning "slices"
or partitions, the notation is new to me. I need someone to either answer
some basic question or point me to documentation which descirbes how
the disk is partitioned under FreeBSD. I've very familiar with linux
and its fdisk program. Also, can I control where the various filesystem
components are places on the disks. As an example, under Linux I have the
following:
          /dev/hdb3   /boot
          /dev/hdb5   /
          /dev/hdb6   /usr
          /dev/hdb7   /usr/src
          /dev/hdb8   /usr/local
          /dev/hdb9   /home
          /dev/hda12  swap partition

As I said, the notation for FreeBSD is quite different and I need some
help getting started.

Thanks for any advice

Terry Eck
Terry Eck