Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:55:11 +1000
From:      "Richard Grace" <rgrace@itworks.com.au>
To:        <cjclark@home.com>
Cc:        "Gustavo V G C Rios" <kernel@lince.tdnet.com.br>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: compiling world with perl enabled fails!

> > Is that also correct?
>
> Yep. Look farther down in that Makefile and see,
>
>   config.h: linkfarm
>           sh config_h.sh

>   perlmain.c: linkfarm writemain config.h
>           sh writemain lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a > ${.TARGET}
>
> I don't think the 'find: build's are a problem. If I just build in
> that diretory right now,

Yes, you're right, I can 'make' in the /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl
directory.

And mysteriously I can then 'make clean' and 'make buildworld' in /usr/src
successfully...

> The problem seems to be the mkdir. Make sure to clean before you try
> again?

So there is something wrong, but where?  This is a clean install of 3.4-R
with the 3.4-S source tree copied by:

  cd /usr ; (cd nfs_mount/usr ; tar Bpcf - src ) | tar Bpxf -

Which should copy all the permissions of the original file system.  I am
root on both machines, so I don't see where the 'mkdir' should fail anyway.

I did run this many times, both making clean and not making clean and the
behaviour was the same.

I will try a fresh copy of the source again and see if this is reproducable.

Richard Grace

ITworks Consulting Pty. Ltd.