Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:05:52 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mirror Site Requirements - Summary thus far...

On 17 Jul 2003 at 22:42, jason andrade wrote:

> it is a lot of very small files which are very rarely looked at
> by http/ftp users - so why are we carrying them any more since
> this stuff is made available via cvs/cvsup ?

A good point.

I think we have to remember who our clients our.  In this case, it is
the general public.  That's who we should be catering to.  Carry what
they want.  We want to make things as easy as possible for them.
They are the ones we need/want/must impress.  The ease of install is
a very important factor and forms a significant part of the first
impression.

If we agree the above is true, then it's not so important for a
mirror to carry the files which the general public will not want.  At
present, I'd say the general public wants 4.8-RELEASE.  Yes, some of
them will even want 5.*.  But apart from that, what else do they
want?

Perhaps before we need to decide that first.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/