Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 18:58:10 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr (Alain FAUCONNET)
To:        dicen@hooked.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User ppp not hanging up modem.

dicen@hooked.net wrote / a ecrit:

> Okay I have an update on the modem. My modem is a SupraFaxModem 14.4k
> V.32bis externel sold for Macs. I got it not because I used to have a
> mac but because I needed that type of cable it came with. This modem is
> set by default not to do anything on a DTR transition. To hang it up you
> do the correct thing which is escape with "+++" and then execute ATH.
> User ppp only seams to cut the DTR.

FreeBSD's tty driver will lower DTR when the I/O channel opened to the
modem closes (if the tty is configured to do so through termios or the
stty command).

> So I have now set the modem to be a PC type which will go into command
> state with a DTR transition. This introduces other problems. Since
> cutting DTR now doesn't reset the state of the modem, it just hangs it
> up, doing a redial right after will not work. You have to wait a couple
> seconds. I can issue special commands to the modem to fix this but these
> commands are not standard. Actually my modem practicaly has an OS in it,
> it is so complex.

I  wonder why the modem would require a soft reset after every call...
Actually  having  the modem do a soft reset *will* induce a one or two
seconds delay during which the modem won't be responsive,  so I wonder
if that's not what you're seeing.

> This really needs to be put in the FAQ. I would rather have an escape
> done "+++" and the an ATH to hang up the modem but atleast it works now.
> Is this code in the termios library? I haven't look in my books yet.

No, termios don't deal at all with modem commands. There are  versions
of getty which do, but I don't know if that'll solve your problem.

> I am posting this to questions, current and stable becuase it applies to
> all of them. You can configure majordomo not to send duplicate emails
> for different mail lists. It isn't that hard.

You can read the docs for your modem and find the command  to  set  up
your modem too, instead of flooding the lists. It isn't that hard.

Since  I'm  in  a good mood and I have a Supra V32bis doc at hand, I'm
even     going     to   give   the   right   commands to you:

AT&D2	-- makes modem go offline and to command mode when DTR drops
AT&D3   -- makes modem go through a soft reset (equivalent to an ATZ)
           when DTR drops.

Now give us a rest and stop flooding the lists, *PLEASE*. If you don't
like the way the FreeBSD lists are set up, go seek help elsewhere.

_Alain_, whose lame-o-meter is close to red zone

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE