Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:33:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Scott Carmichael <freebsd@jobeus.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   su problem?

There appears to be a problem when I su to another user on my system. This
change was made sometime in the past week or two and doesn't appear to be
fixed in CVS yet... Anyways. The problem is that, say, I log in as 'jobe'
and 'su -l freebsd'. A 'w' or 'who' at this point would tell me 'jobe' was
logged in, not 'freebsd'. However, now the 'w' or 'who' tells me 'freebsd'
is logged in and has '-' as the FROM field. When I log out of 'freebsd'
(ie. I become 'jobe' again), I get the following result by running 'w',
still showing the 'freebsd' user and the improper 'FROM' field, even
though I'm back as 'jobe'. Man, is that clear enough? It sounds confusing
to me... Anyways, here's an output of what I'm talking about:

18:28 (6641) jobe@meriadoc:[~]> w
 6:29PM  up 1 day,  3:34, 2 users, load averages: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
freebsd          p0       -                 6:28PM     - w
jobe             p1       samwise          10:08AM  8:20 pine -zi
18:29 (6642) jobe@meriadoc:[~]> whoami
jobe
18:29 (6643) jobe@meriadoc:[~]>