Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 1998 13:41:44 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELEASE?)

Simon Shapiro wrote:

> How about getting rid of that ``%d more silo overflow..'' message?  I am
> too limited in my understanding device drivers to see why that happens.
> I though that UARTs and RS-232C were well understood.

Do you have a Matrox Millennium?  I borrowed a Matrox Millennium II for
a while and put it in my Pentium 133 box.  Suddenly I got silo overflows
when there was simultaneous incoming serial data and X activity (like
scrolling a 60 line xterm window).  When I returned the Millennium and
put my Trio64V+ card back in, all serial problems disappeared.  At the time,
I was running the serial port at only 38400, but now run it at 115200 with
no problems.

I didn't do enough investigation to even guess at the cause.  I looked in
the XFree86 server code for interrupt disabling but found nothing interesting.

I was wondering though if any PCI experts knew if a PCI video card could
starve the PCI-ISA bridge of cycles.  Any experts out there?

Stephen.