Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 15:33:18 +0100
From:      Sascha Blank <blank@uni-trier.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Should /etc/rc correct /dev/console's owner and mode?

Hello,

/etc/rc on my FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE/i386 system contains the following
lines:

	# Whack the pty perms back into shape.
	chflags 0 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
	chmod 666 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
	chown root:wheel /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*

Shouldn't something similar be done to /dev/console?  I'm asking because
I have just experienced the following situation:

I have installed xdm from XFree86 3.3.5 and configured it to display
"xconsole" along with the xlogin widget.  I use the scripts
"GiveConsole" and "TakeConsole" as advised to assign the ownership of
/dev/console to the user that is currently logged in.

Today I somehow managed it to freeze my X server while I was logged in;
I had to reboot by pressing the reset button.  When xdm finally started
up it didn't show xconsole because /dev/console still belonged to me
instead of root ("Couldn't open console").

This problem can of course be solved by adding a few lines to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup (where xconsole is usually started).  But
nonetheless this makes me wonder whether the permission and ownership of
/dev/console shouldn't be reset at boot time to the values of
/dev/MAKEDEV.

Any thoughts?

--
             Sascha Blank            | FreeBSD -
   Student and System Administrator  |     that's where you want to go today!