Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 13:27:25 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@mail.tgci.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   File descriptors

I'm getting some bad file descriptor errors that prevented me from
compiling a new kernal (I'm new...), and got some help here about
that.

But I'm not clear about what causes bad file descriptors or even
what they are/do.

I've searched  the docs, man hier, man fd and am still not clear.  Do
they indicate the state a file is in?  Open, writable, locked?  What
constitutes a bad one?  Is it caused by bad hardware?  Disks?
Controllers?

I'm had stuff like this on more that one occasion:

find: /usr/include/machine: Bad file descriptor
find: /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_int/loop.c: Bad file descriptor
find: /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_int/obstack.c: Bad file descriptor
etc

Last time I had to use clri and some other stuff to fix it.  fsck
doesn't take care of it.

I am going to replace the IDE 1.2GB Maxtor with a Seagate scsi for
this low volume webserver( and move it from 2.1.7 to 2.2.1--a good
idea???).

Will this fix the cause?  Is a bad disk causing this?  I haven't done
a low-level format, but plan on it later.  Should/will this show up
anything?

Could someone explain or point me to some documentation on this?

Ciao,

Riley