Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 11:22:23 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>, Benjamin Greenwald <beng@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network problem with 2.2.6-STABLE

On Sun, May 03, 1998 at 10:51:01PM -0700, Tom wrote:
> > Do you have a suggestion as to what we'd replace dump/restore with? (And
> > PLEASE don't say "tar -g" ... *shiver*)

star looks smart. See my port in the ports collection.

The author has been offered the maintenance of GNU tar by someone
some time ago he told me. But he didn't like the code. His own product
is in his production environment for a long time and has been profiled
excessively. It's even faster than dump, if you add dump's working
time of looking, what to dump to the transfer time ...

--
B&K Gruppe - Wuppertal                                    <aklemm@hightek.com>
phone +49 202 7399 - 170                                 <andreas@FreeBSD.ORG>