Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 22:20:48 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/20349: Update from Gabber 0.6.1 to Gabber 0.7.0

On Sat 2000-08-12 (14:34), Erich Zigler wrote:
> > Don't change the files patch-aa (for example) patches, instead make a
> > new patch-ae.  Can you reroll these patches?
>
> I lack to see what this accomplishes, besides making me re-roll patches that
> are fully functional and work.

patch-aa used to patch src/sha.c, but now patches configure.

patch-ac used to patch src/Makefile.in, but now patches pixmaps/Makefile.in.

patch-ad used to patch configure (which patch-aa now patches!), and now
patches src/GabberConfig.hh.in.

patch-ae used to patch src/GabberConfig.hh.in (which patch-ad now
patches), and now patches src/Makefile.in (which patch-ac used to patch)

patch-af used to patch pixmaps/Makefile.in (which patch-ac now patches),
but now patches src/sha.c (which patch-aa used to patch).

In fact, I wonder if there are any changes to the patches above at all,
just not a reorganization...

Basically, by keeping the patches patching the same files, it's easy to
see whether they change, and how they change, and when looking back
through the CVS logs, what they used to be, without jumping between
files constantly.

So yes, it may work, but it would be easier on me and others, and
possibly you, if it was done in a more consistent manner.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems