Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 23:12:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating MP3's under FreeBSD...

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> using them, you still need to patch tosha, or better cdda, to grab
> the pcm files and compensate the sync problems which many drives
> have (don't ask for more comments on this, i am not very clear on
> what is the problem and how to fix it)

    Hrm... is this why I consistently hear "hiccups" in certain
tracks?  cdd says it has jitter control, but it doesn't seem to help.
The problem spots always occur at the exact same spot in a track, and
appears to be tied to particular models of drives.  Skips heard from a
PCM file read off a 12X Toshiba XM5701 SCSI CD-ROM drive are not there
using a 4X Toshiba XM5401 SCSI CD-ROM drive.  This happens with both
cdd and tosha.  I should try some Win95-based rippers to see if
they've solved the problem.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@netcom.ca)