Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2019 09:05:11 +0100
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd android tethering using USB cable - intermittent failure

El día Tuesday, February 05, 2019 a las 05:34:42PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey escribió:

> Thanks , Yes I've got developer mode on (7 taps on build version)
> &  dont know how to lock display so always on, & yes I do always
> touch screen to tether.
>
> Ive tried rebooting BSD today didnt help. Dont think ive tried
> rebooting the Androids today.  I wondered if I had some hidden
> faulty initialiser file so just removed a bunch of ~/.[a-zA-Z]*
> that I didnt recognise or didnt want.
>
> Weirdly, adb shell has now just connected on the phone I want to
> move data on.
>
> & also weirdly ifconfig -a
> does Not display a ue0: eg from past:
> 	ue0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>  		ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> though I thought I needed ue to tether with,
> ifconfig -a just shows ether & local bge0: & lo0:
>
> Unfortunately my background devd set up the connection before I
> killed it & switched to foreground /sbin/devd -d so xterm scroll
> back does not show what device, but I grabbed a tar copy of /dev
> to look at later
>
> My Android popped up with a less often seen screen: USB PC Connection
> 	Connect as
> 		Media device (MTP) which shows pre-ticked Green
> 		Camera (PTP) which shows blank, un-checked.
>
> Well I wont disturb that pair of devs that are ready to talk,
> I'll start long transfer of data I need,
>
> but I will contine to experiment on another pair of devs,

I think you must not have this interface 'ue0', i.e. you must not enable
'rndis' in the gadget. Or use TCP and SSH or ADB, not both. See this
life example:

I have not set in the BQ:

android-gadget-service enable rndis

# ifconfig ue0
ifconfig: interface ue0 does not exist

attach BQ E4.5

# tail /var/log/messages
Feb  6 08:50:16 c720-r342378 kernel: ugen0.4: <BQ AquarisE4.5> at usbus0

# adb start-server
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully

# adb devices -l
List of devices attached
JU000435               device usb:0:4 product:krillin model:Aquaris_E4_5_Ubuntu_Edition device:krillin transport_id:1

# adb shell
phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$
phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu-phablet 3.4.67 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 6 12:04:40 UTC 2016 b75400e armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
October, 7 -- The GDR was different: Peace instead of Bundeswehr and wars, Druschba