Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 15:24:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "H. Jared Agnew" <jagnew@jagnew.cstone.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/1854: error in man page

>Number:         1854
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Error in bootparams(5) man page
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE
>Environment:

  FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE on a Dell P75

  The bootparams(5) man page specifys that entries in the /etc/bootparams
  config file should be as follows,

           dummy   root=/export/dummy/root \
                   swap=/export/dummy/swap \
                   dump=/export/dummy/swap

  This however does not work when I am trying to diskless boot clients that
  request root and swap.  tcpdump shows that bootparamd is giving the
  directory but the diskless client then fails.  This is because the
  client machine does not know what machine these directories are for.

>How-To-Repeat:

  Try to boot a decstation 5000/20 and fill out /etc/bootparams as shown.

>Fix:

  There should be some explanation to this effect and then the example should
  show as,

           dummy   root=foo:/export/dummy/root \
                   swap=foo:/export/dummy/swap \
                   dump=foo:/export/dummy/swap

  where foo is the host that these directories are exported from.