Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:38:39 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more VMware quirks/questions - scsi CD-ROM -> emulated ATAPI

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 16:23:00 -0700, John Reynolds~ wrote:
> [ On Thursday, July 27, Kenneth D. Merry wrote: ]
> >
> > Yes, it's pretty much the same problem -- sysinstall thinks the device
> > isn't there if it can't open it.  In fact, the problem is just that you
> > don't have a disk in it.
> >
> > I'm sure other people have the same problem, since the cd(4) driver acts
> > the same way for any drive when there is no media present.
>
> could this be changed maybe with a sysctl variable or something, or is there a
> fundamental reason why it "should" work this way?

Well, we have to have the CD size and blocksize in order to complete the
open call.  (That information goes into the faked-up disklabel that allows
the device to be mounted.)

We can't get that information without a CD in the drive.  (The SCSI READ
CAPACITY command won't succeed without a CD in the drive.)

> > There may be a way to do something different, but you'd have to look into
> > the 'vmmon' module to figure it out.
> >
> > What is the vmmon module, anyway?  Where is the source?  (I don't know much
> > about vmware.)
>
>  http://www.mindspring.com/~vsilyaev/vmware/files/
>
> vmmon-freebsd-0.97-b1.tar.gz is the "latest" that the port fetches. This is
> freebsd-only code plus a patch for the vmmon code from VMware.
>
> So far, I'm pretty happy with it--I need to squash a few more bugs and figure
> a few more things out about it, but they might actually get my $$$ for this
> one ;-)

I looked through the source briefly, and I found some code in linux_emu.c
that translates Linux CD ioctls to FreeBSD CD ioctls, but I didn't find any
wrappers for open(2).

You'll probably need to find someone familiar with vmware to fix the
problem.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry