Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 1995 11:46:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Clay D. Hopperdietzel" <hoppy@appsmiths.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        support@anvil.appsmiths.com (Support)
Subject:   Periodic panic with -current

Hackers,

I've recently been struggling with a problem with the 2.0-current in various
versions.  Right now, I'm running something that was supped about monday,
and before that, it was probably back from may sometime.

I'm staging these on another similar freebsd system, which doesn't seem to
have this problem.

What I'm getting is a panic, about 40% of the time, during the startup.
It comes right after the 'starting local daemons' after the date is printed.

I'll transcribe it by hand below:

Fatal trap 12: page fault hile in kernel mode
fault virtual address	=	0x0
fault code		=	supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer	=	0x8:0xf019041f
code segment		=	base=0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b, DPL 0
				pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	=	interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process		=	125 (getty)
panic: page fault
(hangs)

This is a 486-33 with 8M, 2 IDE drives, Adaptec 1542CF and one SCSI drive.
It also has a 4 port serial board which is used for dial modems.

I have not had this problem with another machine, running the same version.

This system has also been running 1.1.5.1 solidly with no HW changes.

Suggestions?

Mail me for the config if you want it.

Clay D. Hopperdietzel 					    hoppy@appsmiths.com
AppSmiths, Inc.                         Voice (713) 578-0154 Fax (713) 578-6182
15915 Katy Fwy, Suite 470                        Where do *I* Want to Go Today?
Houston, Texas  77094                                                  FreeBSD!