Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 2015 20:01:07 +0200
From:      Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>
To:        Stanislav Galabov <sgalabov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Initial support for MT7620

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 15:47:32 +0200
Stanislav Galabov <sgalabov@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 16, 2015, at 14:05, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 16:58:31 +0200
> > Stanislav Galabov <sgalabov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> After talking with Adrian off list we decided to start work on Mediatek/Ralink more recent SoCs with MT7620 instead of MT7621 (Adrian’s board has MT7620 so it’s easier for him to help with the WiFi parts this way).
> >>
> >> I’ve done a bit today and I got an MT7620A based board to boot to multi user with root filesystem on USB stick.
> >>
> >> If anyone is interested in the patch, it can be found here:
> >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/e880eutzvlms8h7/mt7620_patch.diff?dl=0
> >>
> >> For the moment there is no support for sys/dev/rt (the Ethernet controller) with MT7620. This is going to be left for later.
> >> Next I am planning to work on SPI and PCI so that Adrian can start working on WiFi once I’m done with the SPI part.
> >>
> >> I would appreciate it if someone would jump in and help with the if_rt support - this way we’ll have something working quicker hopefully :-)
> >>
> >> I would also appreciate feedback for the attached patch...
> >>
> >> Best wishes,
> >> Stanislav
> >
> > Hi Stanislav!
> >
> > There is patch #1 that did my friend, Alexander A. Mityaev.
> > Patch cover to things:
> > 1. enable support of RT5350
> > 2. enable FDT configuration for RTxxxx family
> >
> > First thing may help you to bring if_rt up. Second one may help to work
> > in right direction, because FDT makes adding new SoC support to looks
> > like writing config (except some new devices, which will require new
> > driver for it).
> >
> > I'm glad to help, but currently limited in time I can spend.
> > Anyway, I will try to answer your questions ASAP.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > [1] http://dev.mt.mk.ua/patch-20150519.diff.gz)
> >
> > WBW
> > --
> > Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>
>
> Hi Aleksandr,
>
> Thanks for the patch! I’ll have a look at it and will see what I can do. Also, thanks for your offer to answer my questions, I really appreciate it.

Very welcome :)

> I was thinking of FDT for the Ralink/Mediatek support, but I figured it would be beneficial to see if there is interest in these platforms at all in the community or not, so that’s why I first started working on adding basic support for more SoCs before trying to move to FDT (although I agree that moving to FDT first may have been wiser :-)).

I asking to use FDT, because it makes device drivers more generic. My
experience show, that many devices (so called IP cores) frequently used
in very different SoCs. (for example DWC USB OTG, used in RT305x,
Cavium Octeon, Broadcom SoC from R-Pi).

Unlike Adrian said, I think better to create mips/mediatek dir, but
start it with FDT support for RT305x, RT5350, Mediateks you going to
cover. And then ask users - are they still need mips/rt305x. If no,
just remove it.

Because, work Alexander done for making support non-FDT and FDT
versions in same place are really hard and take a lot of time.
That why it still not committed.

> I am willing to work on moving the Ralink/Mediatek family support to FDT and doing more work on supporting currently unsupported peripherals (as far as I can be of any use), but I would only do so if the changes I make would end up committed to FreeBSD - I have no interest in doing something that will go unused by anyone…
>
> So if any committer is willing to suffer going through my patches and getting them in the tree - I’ll do my best, provided I have some spare cycles to work on this. I am also willing to do the commits myself (under proper supervision, of course) if my work is considered useful and of acceptable standards.

I think we (me and Adrian) will help you with that, so - go-go-go
Stanislav!!! :)

> Best wishes,
> Stanislav

WBW