Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 13:02:38 +1030
From:      Nathan Johncock <nathan@bridgeonline.com.au>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Toshiba Laptop & Xircom REM56

> From: Nathan Johncock <nathan@bridgeonline.com.au>
>
> >Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:33:01 +1030
> >
> >I'm triying to get a Xircom Realport (PC-CARD 16bit) Ethernet + Modem
> > working on a toshiba laptop running FreeBSD 4.4Release. I only am
> > interrested in getting the Ethernet port working.
> >
> >the xe driver seems to be in the generic kernel and i have enabled pccard
> > in rc.conf
> >
> >when the machine boots up it detects the card as a CEM56 ( card is REM56 )
> >and says driver allocation failed - device not configured.
> >
> >here is the entry from pccard.conf
> >
> ># Xircom Credit Card Ethernet 10/100 + modem (Ethernet part) (CEM56)
> >card "Xircom" "CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56"
> >	config	0x27 "xe0" ?
> >#	config	auto "sio2" ?
> >	insert	/etc/pccard_ether $device start
> >	remove	/etc/pccard_ether $device stop
>
> Curious; what I have in /etc/defaults/pccard.conf (I don't use
> /etc/pccard.conf) is:
>
> # Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + modem (Ethernet part) (CEM56)
> card "Xircom" "CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56"
> 	config  0x27 "xe" ?
> #	config  auto "sio" ?
> 	insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
> 	remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop
>
> (The "xe0" vs. "xe" may be significant.)
>
> >What does it mean "device not configured" and how do i fix it?
>
> I just (this afternoon) bought an Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 Mobile Adapter
> (16-bit version), and had a devil of a time getting it to work (same mode
> of failure: "driver allocation failed for Intel(EtherExpress(TM) PRO/100
> PC Card Mobile Adapter16): Device not configured") until, following a hint
> I found in the archives, I added
>
> machdep.pccard.mem_start=0xd0000
>
> to /etc/sysctl.conf (both for -STABLE and -CURRENT).
>
> Works now.  :-)
>
> Cheers,
> david

Hmmm the default setting was just 'xe' i saw some other docs with the xe0 so
thought i'd try that. I changed it back to xe but no change....
Then i tried that machdep thingy you suggested and it looks like it may work
now.
Thanks a Million :)
BTW what does the machdep.pccard.mem_start setting do? and should i have
known to try this? is is documented anywhere?

Thanks again
Nathan