Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:46:37 +0300
From:      "Igor' Robul'" <igor@raduga.dyndns.org>
To:        mattman@mattcave.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The real Unix problem

Hello,

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 09:23:54PM -0600, mattman@mattcave.net wrote:
>Here's something I don't know. How do you get a fucking program to load at
>startup on freebsd? Where on your fucking website do you have that.
There are 3 ways to load some program on startup:
1) create /etc/rc.local and add command to it, for example, I'll give
   full instructions:
      Make sure you are root, then
      cd /etc
      ls rc.local
   If there is rc.local, then edit this file with your favorite
   text editor.
   If there is not rc.loc, then
      cat >rc.local
      #!/bin/sh
      echo Starting _some daemon_:
      /usr/local/sbin/daemon_name
   Of course, you need use _path to your daemon_ :-)
      Press ^D (This mean Press and don't release Ctrl key, then press D)
      chmod +x rc.local
2) Second way is more modern way (sorry for not good English) :-)
   Go to /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory
   Copy one of files you find in it to (for example) my_daemon.sh
   Then edit my_daemon.sh so it will start your daemon.
   Also, most ports intall daemon.sh.sample into /usr/local/etc/rc.d
   so you can use it. Of course, it will be named not daemon.sh :-)
   For example Samba port installs samba.sh.sample
3) This is not really "starting on system boot", but "starting on
   request". To do this edit /etc/inetd.conf (use command man inetd.conf
   to get help about inetd.conf structure) But you can just use
   entries in this file as example. Also don't forget restart inetd
   daemon after editing this file. Do "killall -HUP inetd" at shell
   prompt while you are "root" user.
   Yet again, most ports do this for you (except, maybe restarting
   inetd).
   Most POP3 servers use this way to start.
>I want to set up a Unix POP3 server. The instructions tell me how to compile.
After you install most POP3 servers just edit /etc/inetd.conf, add
this line at end of file.

pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/popa3d popa3d

This is from my /etc/inetd.conf so in your case you maybe will need
other daemon name.

After you have edited /etc/inetd.conf restart inted daemon:

killall -HUP inetd       # This is for FreeBSD 4.x and most Linuxes
Or:
ps xa| grep inetd        # This will give you PID of inetd process
kill -HUP _PID_OF_INETD_ # Replace _PID_OF_INETD_ with real value

>The only thing I've found on your website is how great freebsd is
>and you can do it but it depends on your version. I know my version...
>how do I fucking do it?

Then you can check your setup. Do as normal user or as root:

telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.rainbow.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK
QUIT
+OK
Connection closed by foreign host.

This is of course in case of POP3 server.

Also I recommend you read some good book about UNIX, for example:
"UNIX SECRETS" by James C. Armstrong, Jr.
IDG Books Worldwide, Inc

I have only Russian version of this book, so I can't give you ISBN
info.

Good luck!

PS.
A lot of "f*ck" remembered me speach of some russian militaries :-)
But they had used Russian equivalents of course: ebat', huj, bljad',
etc :-)))

--
Igor' Robul', Unix System Administrator & Programmer @ sanatorium "Raduga",
Sochi, Russia