Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 10:49:13 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        Doug@gorean.org (Doug)
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: ntpd users

> > This is just a heads up to ntpd users on 3.3-STABLE. 3.3-STABLE has been
> > updated to draft-mogul-pps-api-05.txt, so ntp-4.0.98a and older will
> > break on it because the old draft and the new one is quite incompatable.
>
> 	Does this have any relationship to the reason that the most recent xntpd
> sources don't compile on -current or -stable? On -stable cvsup'ed today I
> get:

No, this is because of the nanokernel code by Dave Mills that we imported
a while back.

> It has been this way for a while now. I just haven't had a good reason to
> bring it up yet. :-) In times past (2.2.8 was the most recent) I've never
> had any trouble compiling xntpd. Latest sources available at
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/.

But if you look at them, you will see that the latest version of xntp3*
is almost a year old. Their latest stuff is the ntp4 versions and that
compiles just fine except for the heads up that I posted.

If you really want to use xntp3, you can just ignore that error, because
ntptime is only usefull for people experimenting with local clocks or
you can use the one that comes with ntp4 which was fixed.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za