Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 2012 03:39:10 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>, Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
Subject:   Re: UPDATING 20120116 -- x11/xcb-util -- instructions not working

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 06:06:57 -0500
Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 08:53:39 -0600
> > Mark Felder <feld@feld.me> wrote:
> >
> >> For the life of me I can't work around this xcb-util issue. This is
> >> a pretty fresh install and I have not made any workaround symlinks.
> >>
> >> I ran:
> >>
> >> # portmaster -R -r xcb-util-0
> >>
> >> And the problem persists. It didn't even complete all the packages
> >> because some were still erroring on missing xcb libraries.
> >>
> >> Example, editors/mousepad:
> >>

> >> libtool: link: cannot find the library
> >> `/usr/local/lib/libxcb-aux.la' or unhandled argument
> >> `/usr/local/lib/libxcb-aux.la' gmake[2]: *** [mousepad] Error 1
> >
> > I'm getting this same error in several ports.  Just exactly which
> > package is supposed to be providing libxcb-aux.la?  And why isn't
> > it?
> >

> I'm not exactly certain about this, and so am probably wrong. I
> thought the '*.la' files were 'linker archives' created by libtool.

Yes, that's right.

> But I never really got completely through the process of fully
> understanding exactly how all the autotools, make and gmake, and
> libtool operate.

I did some research on this issue yesterday, and found the answer.  I
posted a complete explanation with step-by-step instructions to the
FreeBSD Forums at:

http://forums.FreeBSD.org/showthread.php?p=163415#post163415

Sorry, I should have followed up here sooner as well.  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads@cox.net