Date:      Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:22:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        "Lynn A. Roth" <lynnr.junk@interactivefs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems Installing to PowerEdge 850 with SATA Drive

Lynn A. Roth writes:
| I have two new Dell Poweredge 850 machines.  They have an Intel ICH7
| chipset.  When I boot FreeBSD 6 RC1, the controller is identified, but
| any drives connected to the SATA ports are not detected.  The drive that
| is included with the system is a Seagate 7200.7 drive.  I also tried a
| Maxtor.

I can confirm the problem on the PE850.  I have it working with my
latest 4.X SATA patches (which I haven't published yet).  I might
be able to look into this.

FWIW, I my code these SATA registers in 4.X before the become alive:
   ata2: Intel SATA P0 status 0 error 4050000 scontrol 0 0 1
   ata2: Intel SATA P0 status 113 error 4050000 scontrol 0 0 1
   ata2: Intel SATA P0 status 113 error 0 scontrol 0 0 1
   ata3: Intel SATA P1 status 0 error 4050000 scontrol 0 1 1
   ata3: Intel SATA P1 status 113 error 4050000 scontrol 0 1 1
   ata3: Intel SATA P1 status 113 error 0 scontrol 0 1 1
On other Intel controllers they I don't have to acknowledge the
errors off the bat.

Doug A.