Date:      Fri, 14 May 2004 19:54:53 -0500
From:      Jason King <jasonking@sbcglobal.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: lockups

Jason King wrote:

> John Baldwin wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 13 May 2004 11:35 pm, Jason King wrote:
>>

>>> I'm having some problems with -CURRENT locking up, I'm hoping maybe
>>> someone will have some suggestions.
>>>
>>> Symptoms:
>>>
>>> (This is both on 5.2.1-CURRENT as well as booting off the 5.2.1-RELEASE
>>> cdrom)
>>>
>>> During normal boot, kernel freezes before it even starts init.
>>> Ctrl-Alt-Delete does not work, power button must be used to reboot.
>>>
>>> boot -v reveals 'Interrupt storm on "dc0"; throttling interrupt
>>> source'.  Thinking it might be a bad network card (though it works fine
>>> in XP and worked fine when I had 5.1-RELEASE installed), I removed the
>>> card, and I got the same error, just on a different device (pcm0).
>>>

>> Ok, this would explain the slow boot w/o ACPI as well if interrupts
>> are not routed correctly.  Does the machine boot ok if you do 'set
>> hint.apic.0.disabled=1' from the boot loader?
>>

> That worked (thanks).  Going further, I've found that just doing 'set
> hw.apic.mixed_mode=0' at the boot loader without changing any other
> settings also prevents the lockups.
>
> Based on this, I have a few more questions. The biggest one is is
> there anything else that can be done to further narrow down the
> cause?  I've read the blurb in src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES, and it
> suggests that the kernel is possibly getting incorrect information
> (i.e. enabling mixed mode when it shouldn't).  Is there a
> straightforward way to determine what information the kernel is using?
> Is it necessairly a bad thing that mixed mode has to be disabled?

ok i'm a dumbass... in my haste this morning, i commented out the wrong
line in my config file, so when i tried disabling mixed mode, apic
support wasn't even compiled in the kernel.  So to make extra sure, I
went back and explicitly tried it with the 5.2.1-RELEASE cd (disabling
apic worked, disabling mixed mode did not), so its really something
related to apic support.  So next question, what can I do to track down
the problem?  Any suggestions for resources to understand how the apic
stuff works?  Might there be a way to grab the kernel messages even
after a reboot since the lockups don't even my to drop to the debugger?
Doing a boot -v generated a bunch of text that I couldn't read as it
scrolled by too fast, and I'm wondering if it might possibly help shed
some light as to what's going on...