Date:      Tue, 09 Apr 2002 06:59:47 -0500
From:      Nick Lozinsky <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   popper is not authenticating

Hi:

I ran popper like in the manual. Created an accont to popper
with: popauth -user and added a password fom an existing user that I
use. My hostname is: ibsd.myip.org and my user is nl3481 , I sent
messages fine between users such as root and nl3481, using sendmail;
I've started popper. uncommented the line in inetd.conf and killall -HUP

inetd so theoretically, my pop3 server is running. When I try to send
messages from the web to my pop server to nl3481@ibsd.myip.org I get
errors of mail not deliverable. I am using APOP as the authentication
protocol and try to telnet to myself at ibsd.myip.org pop3. Then I try
to log in with the made account pop and it works for them. But when I
try to do the following:

USER nl3481

I get an error saying I need to use stronger authentication like APOP or

SCRAM-MD5. How do I initiate in telnet to get in to my nl3481 account
mailbox? I've started poppper with the -p 3 arg and still the same. But
the pop account works.

Thanks.