Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:02:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <sendmail+gshapiro@sendmail.org>
To:        3APA3A <3APA3A@SECURITY.NNOV.RU>
Cc:        sendmail-bugs@sendmail.org, ports@FreeBSD.org, aleph1@securityfocus.com
Subject:   Re: P.S. to sorry

3APA3A> It  doesn't  mean  that  there is no fgets() problem in mail.loca=
l -
3APA3A> there is fgets() then checking incoming mail for ".\n" in LMTP mo=
de.
3APA3A> Text  "(2047 chars).\n" will be treated as an end of the message =
and
3APA3A> the  rest  of the text will be treated as LMTP commands. This all=
ows
3APA3A> for  attacker to insert any LMTP commands inside e-mail message. =
(as
3APA3A> I  remember sendmail can use LMTP, I don't remember if it is defa=
ult
3APA3A> behavior  or not). It can be very unpleasant. I just need to rewr=
ite
3APA3A> report :)

=46rom the sendmail 8.10.0 RELEASE_NOTES:

	MAIL.LOCAL: When a mail message includes lines longer than 2046
		characters (in LMTP mode), mail.local will split the
		incoming line up into 2046-character output lines
		(excluding the newline).  If an input line is 2047
		characters long (excluding CR-LF) and the last character is
		a '.', mail.local will see it as the end of input, transfer
		it to the user mailbox and try to write an `ok' back to
		sendmail.  If the message was much longer, both sendmail
		and mail.local will deadlock waiting for each other to read
		what they have written.  Problem noted by Peter Jeremy of
		Alcatel Australia Limited.