Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 2004 04:28:10 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.ioffe.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out

Hello,

I have a computer (x86 with one IDE drive) which I would like to host both
FreeBSD and Linux. I installed Linux there, and it works fine. I then
tried to install 5.3-RELEASE from the CD, but the installer failed to find
the hard drive and locked with the error message
   ata0-master: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out

I then connected this drive to another machine running 5.3R compiled from
sources, and installed the system there using DESTDIR, and arranged
booting through lilo -- same result. Loader's "lsdev" shows IDE drive, but
then the same ATAPI_IDENTIFY failure happens, and "List of GEOM managed
disk devices" appears to contain only fd0.

The thread about ATAPI_IDENTIFY failure already appeared in
current@freebsd on 10/29/04, and the problem was probably resolved since
then. Is it really necessary to upgrade to -CURRENT, or I am doing
something wrong?

Thanks,
Alex