Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:37:36 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        John Reynolds <johnjen@reynoldsnet.org>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: did QEMU mysteriously stop working for anybody else?

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 09:50:55AM -0700, John Reynolds wrote:
> Hi all, back after I installed 6.1-BETA2 I installed the QEMU port (I think it
> was 0.8.0 or 0.7.9 during that time period). Everything worked like a charm
> with zero issues.
>
> However, I've recently upgraded to the latest -STABLE as of
>
>   6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #0: Wed Jul 19 07:48:52 MST 2006
>
> and now even the latest QEMU port doesn't work. There aren't any diagnostic
> messages printed to the screen, no nothing. There are no messages in the syslog
> or anywhere else I can find. When I fire it up using the same
> command
>
>   qemu -localtime -hda /disk1/qemu/xp.img -m 256 -net nic -net tap
>
> the X screen blanks out (as if the monitor is turning off) for about a second,
> then comes back. It does this one more time, and then I'm sitting at the prompt

This is a strange behavior.  You're not forcing it into fullscreen mode, so
why would X even blank out?  It should be running in a window.  Are you
sure there is no other diagnostic?  It's working fine for me (by "fine" I
mean: it boots windows but there are some other minor bugs).  I'm running
-STABLE as of Fri Jul 21 15:01:12 CDT 2006.  You're also running an old
version of qemu.  I have qemu-0.8.1_2.  I'd first try upgrading and see if
the problem persists.

-- Rick C. Petty